Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year... show me the sushi!

Today is known as O-shogatsu in Japan. Some of the Japanese New Year traditions include waking up in the earliest hours of the morning so you can hike to the top of your nearest mountain to watch the sunrise (I never did this, by the way) and throwing beans while shouting "Oni wa soto. Fuku wa uchi." (translated to: "Bad fortune get out! Good fortune come on in."). That one I have done many times, usually with  kindergardeners.

Most of the other traditions include foods. The ones I like best are sweet black beans, mochi and, of course, sushi. The attached photos are some of the platters I made for friends for their O-Shogatsu parties.

At the very bottom there is also a photo jelly candy made from  yuzu (a wonderful Japanese citrus fruit which is very difficult to find in the States).  It was made by a friend's uncle and it was my favorite thing from O-shogatsu 2010.
















No comments: